Military Veteran Student
You're a veteran/military student if you spent time in one of the branches of the United States armed forces.
This process should be started at least 2 months before your intended semester start date to ensure all paperwork has time to be completed.
Admissions services are available remotely. For questions, contact one of our offices focused on helping veterans and military-connected students.
What should I do before I apply to TCC?
Before applying to TCC, apply for your veteran educational benefits (GI Bill®).
If you have more questions about your benefits, contact one of our VetSuccess counselors.
How do I apply to TCC?
- Complete and submit an application for admission.
- Apply online now with ApplyTCC (use Firefox or Chrome for best experience)
- Submit your application at least one week before your class start date.
- Find deadlines and important dates in the Academic Calendar.
- Note: You may use ApplyTexas as an alternate online application method but must allow additional time for processing.
- Receive notice of acceptance.
When will I know if I'm accepted?
You should allow up to 5 business days for processing. You will be contacted via your personal email when you've been accepted into TCC to finish the registration process.
If you applied through ApplyTexas, please allow additional time for processing.
What supporting documents do I need to submit?
In addition to applying for admission, if you wish to use your VA educational benefits at TCC, you must submit:
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- If you do not have a copy of your COE, log in to your account at the VA eBenefits site, and take a screenshot that you can save as a PDF file. eBenefits screenshots are only available for Post 9/11 Ch. 33 students. Then, attach the COE screenshot when submitting your VA Certification Request in WebAdvisor.
- VA Certification Request
- Due every semester; located in WebAdvisor
- Official transcripts from all institutions you may have attended and the military
- Military transcripts must be mailed from the military to TCC.
- Army, Marine, Navy and Coast Guard Transcript Request
- Air Force Transcript Request
- Prior Credit Form (PDF)Listen (Used to request certification for one term only without official transcripts)
- Any required forms and documents by VA education benefit (chapter)
- Evidence of Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccination (if new to TCC, under 22 years old, and taking face-to-face courses)
- Residency requirements (if applicable)
What happens next?
Once you're accepted, follow the next series of steps.
- Meet with or contact a staff member if you need assistance with benefits, advising, or counseling.
- Plan for payment of tuition and fees.
- Complete any testing requirements.
- If you were honorably discharged on or after August 1, 1990, your DD-214 allows you to be TSI complete.
- Schedule an appointment with a success coach at your campus's Advising and Counseling center. This is required for all FTIC students.
Success coaches offer one-on-one help to:
- Complete an application for admission
- Answer questions about the financial aid application
- Discuss all required documents, and where/how to submit them
- Register for classes.
- Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits are paid only for courses required for your degree plan.
- Pay for classes.
- Review payment deadlines.
- Finish preparing for the start of the semester.
Updated September 15, 2022