Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Diagnostic Medical Sonography (sonography) is a diagnostic imaging specialty within radiology. Sonography equipment uses ultrasound to create images of internal organs and tissues.
Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why choose Sonography?
- Add a specialty to your current license in radiography, nuclear medicine, or radiation therapy
- Enter a field where you can grow in your career by pursuing sonography specializations,
- Blood vessels (vascular technology)
- Brain (neurosonology)
- Eye (ophthalmology)
- Obstetrics & gynecology
- Heart (echocardiography)
- Musculoskeletal imaging
- Enter a field with a bright job growth outlook
Prepare for what you will do at work
- Operate diagnostic ultrasound equipment to create quality images for diagnostic purposes
- Observe patients & care for their safety & comfort
- Work with medical imaging team & physicians to diagnose diseases & injuries
- Follow radiation safety measures to ensure patient & staff safety & to comply with government regulations
Explore professional organizations
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
- American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT
- Society of Diagnostic Sonography (SDMS)
- Career Video: Watch So You Want to Be a Sonographer? (link will open in a new window)
Marketable skills you will learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before you enroll, think about:
Texas Veterans Commission (TVC)-approved
You can use your Veterans Administration (VA) educational benefits to pay for this program.
Questions? See VetSuccess on Campus
You must currently hold an active license in 1 or more:
- Registered Radiographer
- Radiation Therapist
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
Sonographyt is a selective admission program.
After being accepted to TCC, you must meet the selective admission requirements to be eligible to submit a separate application to our Sonography Program.
Get the details on these pages:
- About Our Program
- Selective Admission
- How to Apply
- Performance Requirements
- Cost Analysis
- Program Outcomes
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
Already hold a registry with ARRT?
You enter the program by applying for the ATC if you currently hold a registry with the ARRT in:
- Nuclear medicine
- Radiation therapy
This certificate follows the A.A.S. program curriculum—minus the prerequisites.
Attend an Information Session
Attending an information session is an application requirement.
Until we can schedule in-person sessions, review the presentation slides and contact us if you have any questions: Diagnostic Medical Sonography Information Session (PDF)Listen
Health Care Professions Advising Resource Hub
Our Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) through the Joint Review Committee on Accreditation for Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRCDMS).
- Address: 9355 113th St. N, #7709, Seminole, FL 33775
- Phone: 727-210-2350
- Website: www.caahep.org
- Address: 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043
- Phone: 443-973-3251
- Website: www.jrcdms.org
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
|AAS||Diagnostic Medical Sonography||65||$4,160|
|CRT2||Diagnostic Medical Sonography||41||$2,624|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to career and promotion opportunities.
Start on Your Pathway!
Trinity River Campus
Health Care Professions
Advising Resource Hub
Advising by Appointment
Fall & Spring Hours
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Updated September 09, 2021